Swiss Cyber Storm 2015
Swiss Cyber Storm 2015
Learn who can participate and how to register and qualify for the Swiss National Cyber Security Team. Please spread this information with your friends and fellows.
Why you should participate
This is your chance to get involved in cyber security without having to compete with security professionals – they are excluded from this competition. Nobody is born as security expert but you can start becoming one. It is very exciting and interesting! Give it a try!
- There’s a lot of fame (and some prizes) in it for you
- It is an asset in any curriculum vitae
- Participating is fun and educational
- Meet people from the security community
- It is free! The only thing you need is a Computer
Who can participate?
You can participate if the following applies:
- You are between 14 and 30 years old
- You are a Swiss citizen or you live or study in Switzerland
- You do not (yet) have a master degree or similar
- You do not have a higher education related to cyber security (e.g., Certified Ethical Hacker)
Swiss Cyber Storm staff and those involved in the development of the challenges are excluded from participation.
There are two categories:
- Junior: between 14 and 20 years old
- Senior: between 20 and 30 years old
Examples of former Swiss Cyber Talents
- Apprentices (SW-Developer, System Engineer)
- Students from „Gymnasium/Kantonsschule“
- Students from ETH/EPFL, UNI ZH, ZHAW, BFH, HSR,…
- Employees of tech companies (with or without BSc)
What do you have to do?
First, you have to register and participate in the online qualification for the Swiss final. Next, if you are among the top 10 of your category, you join us at the Swiss final from 11.-13. September at Campus Sursee. And finally, if you are among the top 5 of your category at the Swiss final, you join us as member of the Swiss team for the European Cyber Security Challenge final from 20.-22. October in Lucerne and Bern.
- Click here
- Register your Hacking-Lab account
- Register for the qualifying round 2015
- Make sure, you use the link above!
The qualifying period starts in May 2015 and lasts three months.
- Try to solve the 3-4 new security challenges you get every month
- The challenges are solved online using the Hacking-Lab
- No time constraints – take your time!
The challenges involve tasks from the following domains:
- Web Security
- Crypto Puzzles
- Reverse Engineering and Forensics
- (Secure) Programming
- Penetration Testing
- Attack & Defense
- Linux/Windows/MacOSX Security
- Mobile Security
Hacking-Lab is our partner for the security challenges. They provide the challenge platform (CTF). That’s why you need to create an account in the Hacking-Lab.
Swiss Final and Beyond
Save the dates! 11.-13. Semptember (Swiss final) and 20.-22. October (ECSC final).
How to prepare for the competition?
It is recommended to prepare for the cyber security challenge as follows:
- Download the LiveCD
- Get familiar with Hacking-Lab
- Try to solve some free challenges in Hacking-Lab
- Learn how to use the Hacking-Lab LiveCD
- Learn how to connect with VPN (using the LiveCD)
- Carefully read the „How it Works“ section in Hacking-Lab
For further information – http://challenge.swisscyberstorm.com/challenges/